Tuesday 8 April 2014

UK-TEFL - My TEFL experience

Ciao!

I'm Hannah, I'm 29 and from the UK, I completed my TEFL in April 2013 after being made redundant for the second time from jobs in Marketing and as a Career Adviser and realising that my job in Insurance was making me extremely unhappy.

I knew I needed experience immediately to put all of my new skills to good use but I wasn't in the position financially to just up sticks! Instead I did some research around my local city, York, and found a volunteer group and a number of Language schools. After getting in touch with these schools and the volunteer group I managed to secure a position over the summer of 2013 teaching in the English Language Centre in York and I also volunteered as an English conversation teacher for Refugee Action York. The experience I gained doing this was invaluable and really cemented the idea of becoming an EFL teacher and moving abroad.

I have dreamed of living in Italy for a long time. Who doesn't want to live La Dolce Vita? So, I decided to just go for it. During my training I was given some good tips on how to find a job in Europe. It's not as common to have a Skype interview or to be hired without meeting your employer face to face if you want to work in Europe. I didn't want the expense of having to keep flying to Italy and back so I decided to just move to Milan and "wing it." About 2 weeks before I went I  put a free advert in an English publication here in Milan called "Easy Milano" I advertised myself as a tutor and I also advertised myself as looking for a job as a Teacher. This was a really useful thing to do because by the time I got there I had a couple of people interested already.

I gave myself a month to find a job. As soon as I got here I was straight on the case. I located as many language schools as I could, wrote a *functional style CV and started ringing and emailing and even visiting some of the schools to make connections and to find a job.

*I chose the functional style CV because it has a more "skills based" approach, I don't have alot of experience and a chronological CV would just be full of useless and irrelevant information so a Functional CV works better in this case, the employer can see all of the relevant information straight away if you highlight your skills and back them up with evidence using short and concise bullet points.

By the end of the first week I had a job working 3 hours a week tutoring children. By the end of the second week I landed another job at Wall Street English. I found the school by chance when I was walking to work, it was raining and I was feeling a bit miserable, I walked passed it and decided to go in and ask if they needed any teachers. The next day I received an email from the Service Manager who invited me for an interview the following day. By the end of the week I had a job offer!

I have been working for just over a month now and I have received some excellent support from my school. The only trouble is, if you are on an Italian contract the pay isn't as good, however, I just love to teach and I have the option to work for another school if I want to/need to.

My life has completely changed and the thrill and excitement of being somewhere new is motivating me to continue to do what I love and to learn more about the culture and learn the language.

I live with a family, they found me from an advert I posted on a website. You can live with students or other professionals but I wanted to live in a family home and really get the feel for the way Italians live and to emerse myself as much as possible, in and around the times I'm teaching, my rent is discounted because I offered to each the child English!!

So if you are thinking of taking the plunge, DO IT!!

Hannah

#tefl #travel #teach #EFL #ESL #CELTA #TESOL #TEFL #blogs #italy

No comments:

Post a Comment