Friday 14 February 2014

A chi vuole, non mancano modi - Where there's a will, there's a way

Wow  the last 2 weeks have been CRAY CRAY. I wanted to share a little story with you about it all because I feel that "fate" really has played a part in the paths I chose to walk recently.

On Weds 5th Feb, I had an interview for a Teaching position and lets just say, it could've gone better. I felt that I didn't agree with the methodology of the school and that the man interviewing me was, simply, a money maker and did not have the compassion to be a teacher.
He simply played bad cop throughout and I left feeling deflated and wondering what the hell I am doing here. As soon as I walked out of the door I knew straight away that I would not hear from him and I told myself "Hannah, just write it off, you will get another interview with someone else but learn from what you feel you did wrong and apply it next time"

Despite me knowing that I should've taken my own advice, I still spent the rest of the day feeling rubbish and kept beating myself up. I had a tutoring lesson in the afternoon with some children and as I was walking to their house I came across the Wall Street Institute. I've heard of them before but wasn't sure where they were located and a little voice inside my head told me to go in and ask for an email address to send my CV to. I did just that because I believed that after something bad there will be something good and I believed that maybe I saw this place for a reason (that's just how I am!!)

The day after I received an invite to and interview from The Wall Street Institute. I went  the following day (Friday 7th) and tried to remember what I'd learned from the previous  interview and what I didn't want to do this time. I met a very helpful chap who told me all about the company and was really interested in my experience and me as a person, what I like to do in my spare time, why I love Italy etc. I walked away feeling better and thought that I'd done as much as I possibly could.

On Monday 10th Feb I received a call from someone else at the Wall Street Institute who invited me for a second interview. I went along on Weds 12th Feb and had my second interview where I was tasked with writing and teaching a mock lesson. (I was terrified!!!) I got some very constructive but positive feedback and I was told that they would call me with a decision the next day.

Later that afternoon I got a call and was offered the job.

I feel as though this is one of those stories which proves that, if something doesn't go your way to begin with, if you learn your lessons and apply what you've learned and keep trying, you will get there.

If you don't make that first step you will never make the 2nd 3rd and 4th steps either, you can try and skip but you'll just trip and end up right back where you were like a game of snakes and ladders.

My advice to anyone who feels they are in the wrong job or who feels passionate about doing something, JUST DO IT! - (rip off NIKE, soz)

If I can, you can!

Also today is Valentines day so spread your love and tell someone how amazing they make you feel xxx




No comments:

Post a Comment