Monday 1 October 2012

Mel'han'zane

Ok, enough with the silly blog titles! When I was in Italy I ate traditional italian melanzane and I loved it mucho mucho.

Last weekend I went to a Vegan restaurant in York, Goji, and I had an Augergine Millefuille which, im assuming, is french! It was very similar to a melanzane but had potato as a base and small piece of puff pastry on the top and used ricotta instead of mozerella. It was delicious.

I decided, tonight, I would make my own version by adapting it slightly again.

I cut up an Aubergine and fried it in extra virgin olive oil until it was soft.
Then I added red onion and a chopped up tomato to the pan. I let this cook for about 5 mins, on gas
It may take longer on electric.

I added spinach and some mixed herbs and then layered it up in a lasagne dish filling the middle of each layer with riccotta cheese and poured a tomato sauce over the top.

I popped it in the oven for 7 mins on 150 degrees so that the sauce and ricotta heated up then served it with some bread.

Bellissima! a really quick, simple and tasty dinner!





2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your mutterings Mutty along with your delightful Italian-inspired recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks brown owl! ... im just in the process of thinking about what to write next!

    ReplyDelete