Sunday 19 August 2012

Cafe hopping

I love Cafes and York is the perfect place for choice and variety!

One of my favourite Cafes was La Place Vert, now its called Dyls and its just as good, if not better! Infact I found myself there this morning for breakfast. I just ordered toast and i got 2 doorstop slices of toast and some real buttery butter. The menu is great, there really is something for everyone and for every meal time or snack time.
The prices are also pretty reasonable.
The hot chocolates are the most delicious hot chocolates I have ever tasted (even better than the one i had in venice). They bring you a glass of hot milk and a bowl of belgian chocolate, you can choose white, milk or dark and you get a small bowl of cream to pop on the top. I love to eat some of the chocolate and pour the rest in and stir it until the chocolate melts! Its quite a fun little treat and im sure it'd go down well with children!

Bettys is probably the most popular with tourists, having 2 in York means if you cant get into the main one you can always try the smaller one on stonegate. Its the same menu and the same kind of atmosphere just a little pokey but its nestled in the historical streets so its quite interesting and in the winter its lovely and cosy. One of my favourite things on the menu, at Bettys, is their Swiss Alpine Macaroni. It comes with bacon and their tomato chutney is a great accompanyment. The swiss cheese is delicious!
If you went in for a snack an afternoon tea or a fat rascal is a definite MUST! My favourite cake is seasonal, from about may-sept the elderflower cake is available, try it!

http://www.bettys.co.uk/bettys_york.aspx

Another of my faves is Greys Court. I first came across it when I was just having a little walk around some backstreets and I fell in love with the place. In the summer there is a beautiful garden to sit in and in the winter its so cosy I could quite happily sit there all afternoon, there is the main room with lots of sofas and chairs and a range of newpapers to nosey through. If you want a meal there are a few rooms with tables in, for more of a restaurant vibe.
I really enjoy the lemon drizzle cake and a cup of tea and sitting on the sofas with friends, its also a boutique hotel and its a lovely wedding venue.

http://grayscourtyork.com/

Yesterday, after a mooch around homesense my friend and I went to Waitrose cafe. I like this cafe it doesnt feel like you are in a supermarket and they have a couple of lovely little sofas and chairs to sit on. My friend ordered a Lemon and Ginger cake which I tried a little bit of, It was incredibly flavoursome, the ginger was really spicy and the lemon icing had a real zing about it. It was quite tasty! They also do lovely cheese and chive savoury scones!

So if you are ever in york or if you live in york and havent visited any of these places yet, make sure you give them a try :)






No comments:

Post a Comment