Monday 6 August 2012

Kodak moments

I've always loved taking photographs, when I was, about, 9 I got my first camera, my mum bought me a film and I was so desperate to start clicking away that I took my camera out and walked around the block to "the green" after school one day and just took pictures of cars and houses and the street (i thought of street view first mr google!)

My mum took the film to be developed and I got told off for wasting money because id not used the camera to take any decent photos, from then on I only took photos when I was supposed to! (well with the exception of the time when I pulled the camera out whilst my mum was shouting at me from the bottom of the stairs and took a picture of her waving her finger at me, I wish I still had that photo! Mischief!)

My friend bought a lomography analog camera today and I was inspired to write about cameras and photography!

Ive never owned an SLR or anything fancy but i've owned and broken about 5 cameras over the past 10 years! I think my favourite subjects are people, buildings and flowers.

Now that most mobile phones have a camera facility I think most people would leave their cameras at home and opt for using their phones if a "kodak moment" crops up.

From the age of 16 to 26 I think I carried a digital camera in my bag everywhere I went. Nowadays I do tend to use my phone since the camera is 10megapixels and it has a flash, so its convenient. However, I love the dated look you get from an analog camera. You can take some great shots which look like they've come straight out of a Wes Anderson film! Its pretty easy to play around with digital photos by using photoshop or apps like instagram but you rarely see anyone holding a camera and looking through the lense anymore! You most definitely dont get the holiday photos you took of the sky with half a person in by mistake! Sometimes those shots are the most interesting!

I remember going on holiday to norfolk and my mum telling my grandma that she wasnt allowed to take photographs because all the photos she took were mainly of the sky and not enough of the people posing! It became a bit of a family joke, if there was ever a badly taken photo in our holiday snaps, Grandma Audrey mustve taken it!

Im tempted to follow in the footsteps of my friend and invest in an analog camera just for grins!

Here are a few links to some interesting websites:

www.lomography.com
www.analogblog.com
www.highsnobiety.com/2009/08/23/lomography-diana-mini/

If you are interested in buying an analog camera or fish eye lense etc have a look in urban outfitters and online at amazon for some super cameras which wont break the bank!







No comments:

Post a Comment