Tuesday 14 August 2012

Jardin

It's my dream to own a house with a beautiful garden full of wilderness and colourful flowers. I guess thats possibly the girliest thing i've said in a while.

I've just moved, and for the first time since i lived at home, i have a small garden that is filled with all sorts of treasures. Theres even a pink rose bush and a belfast sink with plants in! It's a step up from the tiny purple flowers that used to grow over the wall in my last house!

I think i've inherited my love for gardens from my parents who are both quite keen gardners. Ive grown up in houses with beautiful gardens which had alot of Acers and cherry blossom and lovely trees.

Im quite interested in learning more about seasonal flowers/plants and how to look after them. I guess ive been waiting for my very own garden to be able to experiment and make a little haven for people to enjoy.

For now though I settle for visiting public gardens such as Harlow Carr, Valley Gardens, Rowntree Park and the Museum gardens to name a few local spots.

I grew up being taken to Hampton Court flower show every year. I used to wonder why on earth parents would make me go and look at a load of gardens when all I wanted to do was "play out" and pretend to be a secretary or hotel receptionist with my friends! (geek)
Now it's become a fond memory and im tempted to suggest my mum and I go next year! Im sure I could convince her with the promise of pimms, afterall it's where I had my first ever pimms! Yum

For more information on the Hampton Court flower show and others like it visit www.rhs.org.uk

When I have my own family I will definitely join the RHS and make my children go to flower shows and Gardens just like I did.

I love getting flowers, its a rarity but I love it when someone buys me gerberas or gladioli or a combination of different flowers, it really brightens up my day. Last weekend 2 of my housemates picked some flowers from our little garden to put in the kitchen and the lounge and it made us all smile! Im not sure the names of all the flowers in the garden but im going to learn what they are and how much care they need so we can keep it looking beautiful.

Heres a few useful links for local courses and information if you would like to learn about horticulture

http://www.my-garden-school.com/gardening-courses-yorkshire/

http://york.floodlight.co.uk/york/courses-classes-lessons/best-gardening-courses/qualification/study/region/16180339/220706/100/domain.html

http://www.askham-bryan.ac.uk/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/

I will update you with all the facts i learn and share with you some handy tips for spring next year!







No comments:

Post a Comment